Author Topic: no audio coming through the AD 480 - help!  (Read 6590 times)

immed8

• Fiedler Audio User
    • View Profile
no audio coming through the AD 480 - help!
« on: July 16, 2014, 01:42:39 AM »
Hi all

I've been using the AD 480 basic after upgrading from the free version for a few months, and it's been great, a really good quality reverb - I've been using it mainly in Audiobus as an effect, usually going into Loopy, and up until recently it's behaved very well and been quite stable. However, when I've tried to use it in the last few days, I've had no end of trouble - Loopy crashes or locks up, and actually getting ANY audio through the AD 480 is proving difficult, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it IS working (which is rare at the moment) there appears to be audio glitches, pops etc. - my iPad's processor appears to be working overtime trying to process the audio. I thought this was a Loopy/Audiobus issue to start with, but I've isolated it down to the 480, as every other effect I put into the effects chain of Audiobus works fine, plenty of signal coming through - as soon I put the 480 in... zilch.

I've tried rebooting, closing down any unnecessary apps, even doing the try-out the pro version - no difference. I also get a prompt to "Save Recording - please enter the name for the recording file..." which I have to cancel out of multiple times, which has never come up before. Does anyone have any clues as to what might be going on here? I'm halfway through recordings for an honours year at university and the timing could not be worse!

I'm running an iPad mini 16GB with retina display, and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 with a powered USB in through the Lightning connector. Any help gratefully accepted.

Thomas Fiedler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: no audio coming through the AD 480 - help!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:14:29 AM »
Hi,

that truly sounds strange. In the error case, what latency is shown in Audiobus?

Please try the following (don't know if you have done it that way already). Finish all apps (double click home button and shoot 'em off the screen) and reboot your device. Disconnect your Focusrite audio interface and connect a headphone to the iPad. Wait 10 seconds (audio route change in iOS). Start the AD 480 basic. Tell me what happens.

Then, terminate the AD 480 basic (double click home button and shoot it off the screen) and start Audiobus. Please check the latency of Audiobus and try setting it to 256 (default). Put the system input in the input slot and the system output in the output slot, so that audio can pass through. If that works correctly insert the AD 480 basic into the filter slot. Please tell me also what happens here.

Btw. are you using the latest version of iOS 7? Which version of Audiobus are you running?

Best,

Thomas

immed8

• Fiedler Audio User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:50:38 AM »
Hi Thomas, many thanks for the quick response.

First things first - I'm running iOS 7.1.2, the Audiobus version is 2.1.2. Audiobus was actually configured at 512 for some reason, and I've now set this to 256.

Tried your first suggestion (rebooted/disconnected Focusrite/started 480 basic) and indeed this worked fine, no issue, 480 kicked in easily. Also tried with Audiobus as suggested (with latency now at 256) and using the internal iPad mic, this also worked fine... so far so good.

Alas, upon re-hooking up the Focusrite via the Lightning connector... nothing. I've tried the 480 both as a standalone and as an effect within Audiobus, using the mic input of the Focusrite and going to both the system output and to Loopy... zilch. This would normally suggest to me perhaps an issue with the powered USB hub I'm using to interface with the Focusrite, but every other effect I have here work fine with this configuration. You can audibly hear the sound cut OUT when the 480 is plugged IN - it's very odd. Especially as it was working fine with the same set up only a couple of weeks ago.

On the upside, the glitchy audio pops seem to have disappeared, and I no longer get the "Save Recording..." message, which is a bonus. But I'm at a loss here... sincerely hoping we can figure this out.

Thomas Fiedler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »
Hi,

don't worry, we'll figure it out. ;)

Are you still in the trial mode for pro?

If so, please check, if Mute has been pressed. In the pro version you have meters showing you signal coming in and going out, please check them too. On the setup page you can check the audio routing to see if input and output are chosen correctly. There you can also see, how many inputs and outputs can be used.

Additionally please download the AD 480 free to check if it behaves the same way. They essentially share the same code base.

Please let me know your findings.

Best,

Thomas

immed8

• Fiedler Audio User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 12:51:10 AM »
Hi again Thomas

Yes, trial mode still working: I should probably point out I enabled the pro trial through the 'free' version, so I have both this and the 'basic' version on the iPad.

Mute not enabled on the pro version, and neither is there signal coming in or out via the meters, in either standalone or within Audiobus while the Focusrite is connected. The audio routing in setup indicates input channels 1 & 2 and output channels 1 & 2, which I'd presume would be the default? Interestingly, in Audiobus, the 'arrows' between Input, Effects and Output are 'vibrating', indicating that audio should be flowing through, but I'm hearing nothing... as soon as I remove the 480 from the chain, the audio comes back.

While I was typing this, the pro version trial just ended, so glad I checked when I did! It does seem though to be something to do with the Focusrite/Lightning connector setup, because the 480 still works fine using the iPad's internal mic and headphones.

iPad settings perhaps? Or has there been an update with the 480 recently? As mentioned this was all working fine not long ago - the last recordings I made in Loopy when the 480 was still working back in early July. I've also removed and reinstalled the 480 several times, to no avail. At worst, I suppose I could forgo the Focusrite altogether and record using the iPad mic, but I did want to be able to use a decent condenser mic through the Focusrite, as well as d.i. guitars, keyboards etc.

I've just about run out of ideas, apart from reformatting the iPad, though I'm loathe to do this... does anything else come to mind?

cheers
Peter

Thomas Fiedler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
Hi Peter,

hm, sounds like a tough one. It appears to me that some audio route change is not done correctly or recognized correctly by the AD 480 Reverb or iOS.

Have you started the AD 480 Reverb already, when connecting the Focusrite or vice versa?

I will have a look at the code this weekend to check if there is something i can figure out here. Alternatively i can offer you a Skype session where we try together some things. I do not recommend reinstalling the whole iPad at this moment.

Cheers

Thomas

OZet

• Fiedler Audio User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
The same situation with RME Babyface in Auria (Audiobus v2.1.3) - No sound.
AudioReverb - no problem, AD 480 - no sound!

Thomas Fiedler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 10:00:20 PM »
Hi everyone,

thanks for the reports.

I will check this thoroughly here this weekend.

Best,

Thomas

immed8

• Fiedler Audio User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 12:06:26 AM »
Thomas, I tried your suggestion of firing up the 480 first, before plugging in the Focusrite, and lo and behold, it works! I've tried this both in standalone and within Audiobus, and so far everything seems to be working... so I'll be doing some recording while the going is good.

If there's anything to report I'll certainly let you know.

cheers
Peter

Thomas Fiedler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 10:17:55 AM »
Hey Peter,

Thanks for that info.. That helps alot telling me that the problem must be inside the startup routine.

I'll get back  with more later..

Cheers

Thomas

OZet

• Fiedler Audio User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 04:29:46 PM »
Turned to run AD 480 in Auria with RME Babyface and without Audiobus:

1. Run AD 480 without audio interface.
2. Window warning appears  - do not click "OK"!
3. Connecting audio interface and click "OK".
4. Run Auria.
5. In Aux FX load AD 480 and enjoy the result.  ;D

With Audiobus AD 480 in Auria does not work. :(

OZet

• Fiedler Audio User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 08:38:05 AM »
AD 480 in Auria with RME Babyface and Audiobus:

1. Run AD 480 without audio interface.
2. Window warning appears  - do not click "OK"!
3. Connect audio interface and click "OK".
4. Run Auria.
5. Run Audiobus.
6. Insert Auria and AD 480 in Audiobus.
7. In slot Aux FX of Auria load AD 480 and enjoy the result.  ;D

It's better after this to close Audiobus - then switching between Auria and AD 480 becomes without crack and dropouts.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:49:14 AM by OZet »

Thomas Fiedler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »
Thanks for this info, OZet.

In your second post, are you trying to say that you put the AD 480 in Audiobus as well as the Aux FX Slot simultaneously?

Best,

Thomas

OZet

• Fiedler Audio User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »
Yes, in Audiobus and in Aux FX Slot simultaneously.

Thomas Fiedler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 03:23:24 PM »
Does that mean that you receive Audio in the AD 480 from Auria via Audiobus and from Auria directly via interapp audio simultaneously?

Well I never tried this one. :) Since the new Audiobus is based on interapp audio it's SDK is also used for normal interapp audio connections.

Ok, i implemented a fix. The problem here is that i could not reproduce the exact behaviour you both noticed but something similar and most probably related to your problems. I would like you to test the fix on your iDevices if you like and permit, before submitting it to the Appstore.

If one of you (or both) want to help me with this please send me a PM or an email with the UDID of your iDevice. Then i will compile a beta for you to install on your iDevice and check if the problem is gone.

Cheers

Thomas

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:05:32 PM by Thomas Fiedler »